Nissan and NFS respect and uphold your rights under the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) ("Privacy Act").
This policy describes how we manage any personal information we have about you.
What personal information about you do Nissan and NFS collect and hold?
Nissan and NFS may collect and hold the following information about you:
- name(s), address, email address, telephone number(s);
- date of birth;
- vehicle purchase date;
- vehicle details;
- name of selling dealer;
- any additional information you provide, such as when you contact our Customer Service Centre, log in to our website, or call us for roadside assistance;
- any information you may provide to us through customer surveys;
- any other personal information which Nissan or NFS is required to collect for identification verification purposes;
- any additional information provided in a consumer or commercial credit application you make.
How do Nissan and NFS collect and hold your personal information?
Nissan and NFS will generally collect your personal information directly from you and through its Nissan Dealers to whom you have provided your personal information. Nissan and NFS may also collect personal information from our website, in promotional activities such as promotional events and competitions, from other directly related companies and from our service providers (such as Roadside Assist).
What do Nissan and NFS do with your personal information (apart from your consumer credit information)?
We use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of -
- fulfilling our ongoing obligations (including warranty, recall, and roadside assistance) to you as the owner/driver of a vehicle we have imported and distributed;
- responding to any inquiries or comments that you submit to us;
- customer service requirements and product development purposes;
- (in the case of NFS) deciding whether to offer you additional credit or to renew credit;
- any other purpose you have consented to; or
- any use which is required or authorised by law.
NFS will only use your consumer credit information:
- to assess your application for consumer credit;
- for purposes directly related to the internal management of your loan or the provision of credit;
- in accordance with the consents and authorities you give in your consumer credit application.
Your commercial credit information will be used in the same way as your other personal information except that it will not be used to access an application by you for consumer credit without prior consent.
Who will Nissan disclose your personal information to?
Nissan and NFS may disclose your personal information (other than your consumer credit information):
- to each other or related companies;
- to the advisors, consultants and contractors we ordinarily engage for the above purposes (such as mailing houses, insurers, printers, lawyers, accountants and other service providers);
- to one or more of our dealers on condition that they use it for the same purposes as set out above and only in connection with the Nissan dealership franchise;
- any other person or entity to whom you have consented to Nissan and/or NFS disclosing your personal information;
- any disclosure which is required or authorised by law, including to AUSTRAC in respect of any suspicious or threshold transactions or activities; and
- if you have applied for credit from NFS:
- to a credit reporting agency for the purpose of obtaining a credit report about you and/or to allow the credit reporting agency to maintain a credit information file containing information about you;
- to a debt collection agency;
- with your consent, to other credit providers for the purpose of assessing your application for credit; or
- with your consent, to guarantors if a credit arrangement is guaranteed.
Your personal information may be provided to our parent company in Japan. Where your personal information is disclosed to an overseas recipient, we will only do so if we reasonably believe they are subject to laws that protect your personal information in the same or substantially the same way as the Australian Privacy Principles.
We will also take adequate measures to ensure that the personal information is handled by the overseas recipient in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and our instructions for the purposes described above.
NFS will only disclose your consumer credit report information to outside persons as permitted by the Privacy Act. Your consumer credit report information will only be disclosed to our Dealers and other third parties with your prior consent.
Your credit information will not be disclosed to a credit reporting agency for the purposes of assessing an application by you for consumer credit without your prior consent.
Nissan and NFS will take reasonable steps to protect and keep secure the personal information we hold.
You may request access to personal information (including your credit information) we hold about you by contacting the Customer Service Delivery Manager at the address below. Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will endeavour to provide you with a suitable range of choices (including direction to a credit reporting agency) as to how access is provided (eg, emailing or mailing it to you). A fee may be charged to cover the cost of retrieval.
If at any time you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request amendment of it and we will either amend the information or make a record of your comment, as we think appropriate.
Marketing and Opting Out
Where we have obtained your consent to do so, or in circumstances where you would reasonably expect that your personal information would be used or disclosed for this purpose, we may contact you from time to time with marketing material about our other products or services, and those of our related entities. We may also share your personal information with our related entities and our dealer network, so that they can provide you directly with marketing material about their products and services. At any time, you may opt out of receiving this material at any time by contacting us on 1800 035 035 or by email to email@example.com. Your consent to receive this information will remain current until you advise us otherwise.
Questions and Complaints
National Operations Manager- Customer Service & Warranty
Nissan Motor Co (Australia) Pty Ltd
Locked Bag 1450
DANDENONG SOUTH VIC 3164
Phone: 1800 035 035
Fax: (03) 9797 4400
We will respond and advise whether we agree with your complaint. If we do not agree, we will provide reasons. If we do agree, we will advise what (if any) action we consider appropriate to take in response. If you are still not satisfied after having contacted us and given us a reasonable time to respond, then we suggest that you contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner by:
Phone: 1300 363 992 (local call cost, but calls from mobile and pay phones may incur higher charges). If calling from overseas (including Norfolk Island): +61 2 9284 9749
TTY: 1800 620 241 (this number is dedicated to the hearing impaired only, no voice calls.)
TIS: Translating and Interpreting Service: 131 450 (If you don’t speak English or English is your second language and you need assistance and ask for the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner)
Post: GPO Box 2999 Canberra ACT 2601
Fax: +61 2 9284 9666
In general you can visit the Nissan website without telling us who you are. The amount of information that you provide to Nissan will depend on the range and number of services that you choose to use. Particular sections of the Nissan website may require you to provide Nissan with personal information, such as your name and email address. We will only ask you to provide personal information that is necessary to provide a service to you or if it is necessary by law to collect the information.
Nissan Australia uses advertising programs that place cookies on your computer to collect information about your browsing history (including on external websites). This information, which does not identify you personally, is collected in order to improve your online experience by customising the advertising you see to your interests (including the display of more relevant ads on external websites). By using the Nissan website you agree that the internet is not completely secure, and that accordingly we can only use our best endeavours to secure your personal information and cannot provide any definitive assurance regarding security of personal information. Other than liability that cannot lawfully be excluded, Nissan and NFS will not be liable in any way in relation to any breach of security or any unintended loss or disclosure of that information.
In this policy "personal information" has the same meaning as under the Privacy Act.